More Roman Seas Ships
I finished up a few more Roman Seas ships as I gear up to be able to do some convoy escort games. In addition to builing up the merchant fleet, I am also expanding my collection of ships to offer the players more variety of escorts and raiders than my current giant collection of liburnians allows.
First up are a pair of Small Merchant ships. Similarly to the Corbita, I have added the same simple rigging to these and I think they look pretty nice.
The first additions to the galley fleet are a trio of Hemoila, monoreme ships often used as raiding or scout vessels. Although not found in major fleets, it is entirely conceivable that some could have been around for a raiding force, especially given the Roman habit of demanding that their allies provide ships when demanded. If some city had nothing but a few hemoila around, I doubt the local Roman commander would have turned them down.
Finally, I have the first of my bigger ships, a quadreme. This ship has been featured on Mik’s blog already, but I thought I’d put up a few more pictures here. The quadreme was still not considered a front line ship for major battles, but could have definitely been a force in a commerce raiding group. In Eric’s rules, quadremes and larger are able to carry towers, temporary wooden structures erected on deck to provide a commanding position in a boarding action, in addition to more troops and more artillery. When I construct the larger ships, I glue a small washer under the deck in the bow and stern, then place a small rare earth magnet in the base of the tower, which allows the towers to be easily added or removed, but holds them firmly in place during a game.
As I stated in the Corbita post, with these latest ships I’ve been taking the time to work on the fit and finish of the models. When I prepared the 45+ ships for Historicon in 2008 I was craning them out as fast as I could and didn’t have the time to do a lot of stuff like paint the white edges of the paper. For these latest ships I’ve been doing that and the effect is really nice. It does involve a little mixing paint to match the print outs. I’ve got some paints that are “close” to the colors Eric has used for the models, but as I’ve discovered, different print runs can be slightly different shades. The pictures below show the improvement that the little extra step provides. I’ve also shown one of the Saxon ships with a sail but no rigging versus one of the Merchant ships with the little bit of simple rigging. Eventually I’ll go back and touch up the older construction.